There are many types of events to plan for: online auctions, galas, 5Ks, golf tournaments, etc, but there are core planning techniques that will help make your event a success.
- Pick a date. Knowing when your event is going to be gives you ample amount of time to plan and organize.
- What type of event would most benefit your organization?
- How long is the event going to run?
- What space do you need? How much will it cost?
- Who are you inviting? How many people are you inviting?
- How are you inviting people? What marketing materials will you need?
- Is admission going to be charged? How much profit do you want to make off of this event?
- Is entertainment involved? What kind?
- What food are you providing? Where are you getting it from?
- Is anyone speaking at your event? What contacts do you need?
- Will there be an auction? What type of items are you looking for? How are you getting these items?
- How will you staff the event? How many volunteers or staff members will you need?
- Will there be a way for attendees to donate via cash or credit card?
- Are there any materials you want to give attendees? (i.e. Thank you cards)
Probably the best thing to do while planning an event is to double and triple check everything and with everyone. Make sure the entertainment knows when to come and that volunteers show up and are trained. It may seem a tad neurotic, but people and services can fall through the cracks very easily if they aren’t monitored.
Get planning, and good luck!